Sunday, October 26, 2008

Solidaridad.

Fences. Walls. Burning eyes. Violence. Aggression. Greed. Blindness.

Eyes that burn with hatred are blind. The denial of the humanity of another person is the greatest crime any of us can commit. We are like the child in the sandbox, building a partition, to keep others from coming onto his side.
To build a Wall along a border is unfathomable.
What are we protecting? What are we scared of? The ideal of individualism is what has wounded our country at it's core. Me, mine. When the inescapable reality is We, ours. Creating borderlines that are uncrossable, is to confine the dreams, hopes, paths, and very lives of those on either side.
How can one look, truly look, into the eyes of another human being and not see the spark of divinity and humanity manifest there? How do we begin to truly see each other?

Solidarity.

I stand with the poor, the impoverished.
I stand with the dreamers, the protesters, the restless.
I beg with the homeless.
I hunger with the children and the parents who find no food to bring home.
I cry with the brokenhearted and weep with the wounded.
I suffer with those who suffer.
I hope with the hopeless.
I endure with the desperate.
I stand with those who fight to be heard, to be seen, to be known.
I stand with those who have not,
and speak unapologetically to those who have, and do not question.

I will no longer walk lightly and with fear or shame,
but with boldness and strength.
With conviction, empowered to change.

Because I believe that we can change anything.

This struggle is a beautiful one.
This fight will not be won with aggression and anger, righteous or otherwise. This struggle will be won with patience, humility, endurance, and unfathomable Hope.
Change will come as we live it, and create it.
Change will come as long as we stand, shout, cry, act, hope, and believe with all our might.
We can overcome.
We will overcome.

I know so many dreamers, believers. So many with smiles waiting to be shared, generosity extended, hands open and ready to give, hearts full of Love and hope and wonder.

We are not the minority, we are the majority, and all of us together will change the world.

It is happening.