Tuesday, November 4, 2008

The Sound of Hope.

As I write this, there is a glorious chorus of car horns, shouts, yells, hoots, and hollas outside on the street. My love and I are celebrating with Brut and unabashed grins. There are people walking down the street shouting, "Yes we can!" There are perfect strangers, with skin of all shades, united in their utter joy on the streets of Oakland tonight.
I can tell you one thing, I have never felt so safe walking alone at night in Oakland. Nobody's pissed off tonight. And if they are, they sure as hell don't live here.

I saw a couple on the street, met their eyes in passing, and we shared a look and a smile that said it all. No words necessary. While circling for a park spot, there was a group of young-ish black men walking down Jackson, spotting them and sensing their elation, I honked and they all burst into yells and we, in that moment, knew each other. Celebrated together. There is an overwhelming feeling of unity, of community, and of a knowing that Change Is Come.

I will not in any way diminish what Obama's victory means for the black community. In fact, I think we are gonna see some major transformation- in all of us, really. The whole country. People in their lifetimes, have seen this country from the Jim Crow laws through to this night. The Rev. Jesse Jackson was nearly sobbing.
What I will say, however, is that I think it is bigger than that. This is truly monumental. Not only for America, but for the whole world. My mom's sister called from Greece to congratulate us on electing Barack Obama, on behalf of the world. Seriously.

The single, most powerful effect of this election, is that record numbers of voters registered and voted, especially young people. And with Obama's win, people have a tangible proof that their voices matter and will be heard. That alone will revolutionize Democracy in America. Change Is Come.

Cheers. And Congratulations to us all. A new day is dawning in this country and in the world.
I can say, for what may be the first time in my entire life, that tonight, I am proud to be an American.