Saturday, May 2, 2009

"Tell me, could you walk away?"

my own question
prophesying
our eventual demise-
it's almost funny
what my songs
show me,
in retrospect

what do you do with old love songs?

i am tempted to cast
them aside,
or throw them
on the pyre
with everything else,
but,
i mean,
they're still songs, right?
still mine?
still creation?
still my expression
and exaltation
of that which is
Unnameable?

and so tonight
I sing them
line by line
with a weight and a meaning
that only
you or i
could ever realize-
and
i offer them
at the altar
of our dead.

Love's shadow,
that most holy
of ghosts-
casts it's illuminating
glow,
and i can see more clearly
than i might have before
though
that doesn't stop my tears
or the
letting go
that will eventually
allow me to sing
such sweet things
without thinking
about
you.


Peace, tonight.
I wish us Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment