Monday, December 8, 2008

Also.

I'm in love with The Beautiful Girls.
Love, I say!

(the lyrics I posted the other day were by them.)

from "Learn Yourself"-

"Everybody thinks we'll fall apart.
Everybody's quick to point their fingers at what
they think is causing the problem.
And what they don't see is what they won't see my friend.

And we've all got to learn ourselves
before we can judge someone else.
And we've all got to learn ourselves
before we can judge someone else.

Just like the holy scripture talks
of a road to redemption in amongst the thorns,
The path is beset by ego and greed
and if we don't see then we won't ever be free."


There's a lot of folks I know, or know of, that are deep in the discussion of the current ills and issues of the Christian church. One intriguing traveler has differentiated between "the Church" and "the church." Which I really like. (One, because I think it is an important distinction to make, and two, because I love how the capitalization of words can entirely affect the meaning.)

Personally, I find the discussions interesting, thoughtful, genuine and honest. I admire the struggle and desire that these folks have to reconcile the tradition that they grew up in or transplanted to, with what they believe and understand in their hearts.

Many of them choose not to attend church on Sundays, but seem to be trying to live out "Church" in their daily lives. Community, family, kindred.

I think on the spectrum between Radical and Reformer, I fall strongly on the Radical side.

But, I have great Respect for the Reformers I see at work- they are very beautiful, deeply honest in their pursuit. I watch them, from a distance, curious to see what they will create with all this love and desire and pureness of heart.

Cheers, Reformers. Hope it's okay with ya'll if I sniff around, just outta sight, on the edges and outskirts. Curious and watching.