Friday, December 26, 2008

Reinaldo Arenas

I just watched "Before Night Falls," a movie about the life and writing of Reinaldo Arenas. I highly recommend this movie. What a beautiful man and artist. I'm starting his memoir by the same title.

Also, I just saw "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." I was a bit skeptical, due to it's cast including the obscenely famous Brad Pitt, but truly, it is beautiful. I feel as though I haven't fully digested it yet, and may need to take myself to see it again. :)

The premise is that a baby is born with a rare disease- he is born old. He is born with all the ailments of age, and yet as he gets older, he grows younger, and dies an infant. The metaphors and ideas expressed and insinuated are too much for me to write about just yet. I think one more viewing and then...

Have had a head-shift of late. A good thing. My upcoming travels are beckoning and asking for my attention.

I finished my year at the Literacy program. An accomplishment with many repercussions and reverberations, one of them being I have found myself with more time on my hands. This coming week especially.

I am grateful. Grateful to have time off for the beginning of the new year- time to contemplate, take stock, prepare. I hope to spend a lot of time in my truck- fixing her up, getting her ready, packing, sorting, getting rid of that which I really don't need. And writing. Much writing.

Tonight, I am drinking honey beer (yum), listening to The Be Good Tanyas, and reading and writing. I am hopeful, anticipatory, quietly excited.

I am both looking forward to what is to come and enjoying exactly where I find myself to be.

Gracias a Dios.